Main Street DeFuniak Blog

  • Walton-DeFuniak Library
    Directly following the inaugural Florida Chautauqua Assembly, during the winter of 1886 an organization of women formed the “Aid Society” in DeFuniak Springs. Their mission was to welcome the many newcomers who were attracted to our small railroad town by the opening of the Florida Chautauqua the previous year. By early summer in 1887, this energetic group of women began focusing on a much-needed service. It had become apparent that the town lacked a library to provide reference material for the community at the Florida ChautauquaContinue reading “Main Street DeFuniak Blog”
  • The Florida Chautauqua Hall of Brotherhood
    The Florida Chautauqua Hall of Brotherhood is the physical embodiment of every good and pure idea our founding fathers fostered as they established DeFuniak Springs. A Winter Assembly in the Land of Summer. In 1929, a local newspaper report read, “DeFuniak Springs enjoys the distinction of a town built about and idea. It’s history and that of Chautauqua are one, and its action is but thought materialized.” The Hall of Brotherhood youContinue reading “Main Street DeFuniak Blog”
  • Saturday Farmer’s Market
    Join us every Saturday in Downtown DeFuniak for the Farmer’s Market held from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. (July – September) on Baldwin Avenue.
  • L&N Train Depot
    The Florida Legislature chartered the Pensacola and Atlantic Railroad in March of 1881 to connect Chattahoochee to Pensacola with 170 miles of railway. Colonel W. D. Chipley, general manager of the Pensacola Railroad, led the surveying expedition with Colonel T. T. Wright and Major W. J. VanKirk to plot the easiest course for the new rail line. It is said that, after much travel through densely forested trees and wilds of undeveloped lands of Northwest Florida, the groupContinue reading “Main Street DeFuniak Blog”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *